May 21, 2007

Got Beef...

What is with higher education Naija!? I've always tried to ignore how bad it is but now it hits closer home when it happened to my brother. He applied for part-time studies in University of Abuja, chose a particular program and had to wait. The first class he attended on a Friday evening was not so what it was supposed to be. It was more like a trade meeting where the students had to negotiate with lecturers on how they can "succeed" for the semester. They were told they have to purchase and read-up 10 textbooks for their program, buy handouts and then get ready for the exams. I don't even want to get started on the handouts. The handouts look like some nonsense some dreary-eyed lecturer ends up scribbling by 12am, he then makes copies of it and sells to the students. Other lecturers are "civil" enough to take their write-ups to some cut-and-nail business center to get it typed with so much typos and grammatical errors that'd leave you wondering if this is supposed to be some lecture material. It's so pathetic. And in the end, they have the gutso to stand up and tell students that purchasing these parchments account for 10% of their overall semester scores. Students are in turn led into a frenzy of trying to purchase these and focus on them, thus distracting a lot of them from what they should really focus on for the semester-their course work, which should come from some other reliable source.

Lectures are conducted haphazardly. Tired students come into classrooms in the evening from their different jobs or whatever they keep busy with. Mr. Okoro thinking about the proposal he submitted that is yet to get "pushed" through sits there distracted, sketching or writing blankly in his book. Ms. Rose's daughter keeps crying in the lecture hall and gets interrupted several times with trips out of class. Cellphones are the norm with the students taking call in the classes. All the lecturer needs to do is frighten them with failure and the lot who do not even have time to open their textbooks know what to do by the end of semester - see Mr. Lecturer for "settlement".

The part that actually raised my BP was when he came back the other day with a letter for provisional admission stating his admission number and program. Dude applied for Public Administration, but on his letter of admission it was auto-changed to "B.Ed. Mathematics". What the flying fck? How d bloody hell is he going to adjust after all these time? He waited for over a year for this and when it was time, he got this. I just can't put in words how disappointed I am with this. I feel so bad and helpless. Ho hum, he isn't alone in this as a good number of students applying for preliminary studies get the same treatment also. Studying full time isn't any joke, either. JAMB screws people over, over and over again. And when you are done with JAMB, you have to go into school to face the madness. For the past year or so, there's been little or no news from ASUU. But this year, they've come up with a, "Hello, we're still here" message by going on strike. Mind you, I have nothing against unions, but for all that's Holy, there should be some measure of reasonableness when things happen to some sectors. Not Education, not Health, not Security. And even if it has to happen, it should not for so long before things should get corrected. But not in Naija...Doctors strike, Police strike and Universities strike. Not just for a day, or week...it goes for months or so. And we expect the society to thrive?

Dysfunctional! The system looks that way, sometimes. Private Universities are, well, private - made for the middle- and above middle-class who can afford it. Those who wouldn't bother flying their kids outta the country for better schooling send their kids there. But the average Joe cannot send his kid to a private university BECAUSE of the fees. The child will not be able to get a good education, one better than you can get from public funded universities, whether on the Federal or State level so he has to settle for less. Schools aren't producing the right type of graduates any more. You hear people talk about getting admission to school, the conversation is more of a, "Just go in there, do what you have to do, play with the system, when you come out, you don't have to work with what you went in there to study." Graduates come out and they end up with jobs they do not like, things they do not have a passion to do because they have no choice. They just need a job, they need to survive. There is no much contribution into society coming from the graduates of different faculties in the universities. "Engineering, Medicine" and other professional courses in the schools do not bring out people who are ready for the workforce. Our graduates have to go outside Naija for additional training and qualification before they can come home and help, IF they return, that is. Nigerians are running to universities in Ghana, South Africa, Malaysia, Indonesia (nitori olo'un), just so they can get away from home.

I know this is more like a complaint without much solution being proferred. The thing is, I feel helpless and I do not know where to start effecting any changes from. No reporting mechanism to check what these lecturers do. It starts from there...and even if you try to fix it, you'd be the scapegoat because you are in the almost non-existent minority. You'd never graduate from any other university in Naija. Things happen and then those responsible for the ills get away with it because that is how things have always been, I'm not the one to die and fix it.

Breaking The Habit:

I'm curious on smokers getting addicted to cigs. Other than knowing cigs contain some addictive substance, I don't see what makes it addictive. I know this sounds naïve, but i'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of the matter. The few times I've done it, and heretofore, I've yet to have an urge to go pick up one of those sticks again, unless I'm in the same scenario that even prompted me to do it the first time. So my questions are:

1. Does this addiction happen overtime, with constant exposure?
2. From personal experience: Care to share how long you've been smoking and what actually makes you keep doing it?
3. From personal experience(s): What makes it hard for you [or anyone you may know] to break the habit?


Misc:

I finished reading "Red Cloud's Revenge" today. Good book, met up to expectations, but with the incoming whites gaining ground eventually, but not so easily, it was expected. But it had enough details to raise the hair on my arm. Books have this way of telling stories that watching a screenplay of the same book does not. I'd try to get something else, soon. I guess this year's my year of books as I'm on a campaign to up my reading habits. It's paying off in subtle ways, I can feel.

22 comments:

TMinx said...

Is that a private uni? Education in Nigeria still has a long way to go. That JAMB is just another story. About smoking..I too would love to see the answers because I never had the urge to even try, it just doesn't somehow make any sense to me.

יש (Yosh) said...

@TMix: Thanks for stopping over! It's no Private Uni o! It's the University of Abuja, Center for Distance Learning. It is a Federal University and for what that's worth, it looks like an org run by a few egg-heads, no kiddin...ask any Abj resident

? said...

Nice post. My reading habit is so poor compared to my brother who will read anything and everything. Guess we got it from our daddy. Think am just going to check out the above book. Yipee!

btw: hope tew (by the way thats how pink satin says it) see you around

Admin UD said...

I dont even wanna talk about higher education in 9ja, that one na 'Till thy Kingdom cometh'

On smoking, it becomes a habit when you always hang out with friends that smoke. You know smoking acts like drinking, gettin a lil bit tipsy. It gives yu that lil edge of courage and 'light headedness'

Hey, am not advocating yu start smoking dude, far from that. Am just someone that experimants on things and stops...dats me.

I have tasted a lotta things in my life. Good thing is dat i never get addicted.

Do ahve a nice day, Obi and jkeep doin ya thang! C.H.E.E.R.S!!!

יש (Yosh) said...

@Ugo: Thanks for the comment man! So from your line, I could deduce that the nicotine in cigs doesn't really matter. If one is gonna get hooked, it's by hanging out with smoking peers and of course that "high" one gets from it?

? said...

just checked it out...think am gonna like this book

Anonymous said...

men..d education syaten in nigeria is in shambles esp @ the tetiary level..i schooled in 9ja for a while and i know too well abt those lectureres that would write some crappy ass bookand make you buy them unless u will not pass their courses...the students are made to suffer for the inadequacies of the system..yeah about the smoking thing ./.i tried it for 2 yrs when i was 17 to feel cool and fit in wit my friedns..and i tellu all d time i did it,i didnt like it,it didnt do nothing to me i didnt get addicted to it..and it was so easy for me to stop it...as in i had no battles in dropping d stick...

Anonymous said...

@ Pseudo tanx 4 copying me-lol

יש (Yosh) said...

@P-I: You'd love the book! It's just d # 2 book in an 8 (if I'm not mistaken) Plainsmen series by Terry C. Johnston. The gore is so detailed, leaves u living vicariously! I'd keep hunting for the rest I can lay hands on.

@Pink-Satin: Thx for stopping by. Nice...u r d 2nd person telling me now about peer pressure playing a role in the decision to smoke and not finding it difficult to break off. It now appears that those who get stuck with it enjoy it and hence they let themselves into it. I could be wrong though...waiting for more comments by ex-smokers.

Anonymous said...

i've not "really" tried cigarretes but from my knowledge of addictions and from the heavenly smell of cigar smoke i sniff in when around smokers i think i understand why it's hard to quit. it takes you to that heavenly place...which though might be wrong is hard to fall out of love with.

? said...

@Pink-Satin
At 10 one thought he knew what he wanted to become. Now that’s history but I know one day I would like to be just as posh as you lol :o) tew tew posh

@Yosh thanks for stopping again…Just seen your comment and have replied to it. "Just don’t shout" when you see it.

? said...

Anyway a bit to the point of this post, I always am almost in tears when I think of the education system bequeathed to us by the colonialists. In tears when I compare it to what we have today. I read a World Bank report, where it was acknowledged that the Nigerian educational system was so unique in the 60's but we have wrecked it with the eruption of military coups, civil strife and political instability. I understand that some of those who graduated from the University of Ibadan at that time actually were issued with certificates accredited by the University of London. In the same way fourahbay (I think that’s how it’s spelt) college in Sierra Leone are accredited by the University of Durham (UK’s 3rd oldest university) so the standards must have been similar at the time to the extent that they were graduates of UK universities. So I do agree with you: today it is dysfunctional.

Ill be back.

Simply Gorgeous said...

Yosh, sorry about your brother's university woes... Abuja University some of my relatives and a brother in law teaches there is a mess... Not that all theother ones are much better...

ABUZaria is a little better...


I saw how Exschoolnerd has embarassed you. Not to worry I have dealt with her.I will find you a proper wife- no worries...

BOBBY said...

Smoking is addictive...i am definitely addicted but i am currently working on it.

Naija, we can do anything we want to do in this world, its just that there is too much corruption, even at University Levels and in the society in General.

I no know o jare...

Yosh, whatever you decide to do, i am down with you.
Bobby

LurLar said...

Universities in Naija is crazie....Which answers why there's lot's of brain drain in naija. When you say you want to eliminate old pple wey dey spoil naija,wat is the probabiblty that the new breeds are in even experts in what they went to school for...abeg na sad story.

On smoking issue. It starts with the zeal of wanting to try it,den if u try it.......with all dis flavors they have...that's the beginging addiction,couple with when you have friends that smoke. The strongest reason is (finding comfort in it) couple with nicotine.

יש (Yosh) said...

@P-I: So true o, we really messed up what was bequeathed to us by the colonialists. Not like change isn't good, but not the type of change that erases what is needed till one could really stand on his own feet. Or in the process of wanting to shake off reliance on the colonialists (the effort which still hasn't seen as much returns as it should give), we took off what was needed. Now add this to all you mentioned too with the political instability and imbalance and we have the status quo...

? said...

Really sad for us. When you compare Nigeria to its neighbour Ghana and look at another sector (power) electricity is more stable, which is even more upsetting. I wonder whether the new administration will be any different. Its the same old people!

Anu boy said...

Education Education Education... na wa ohhh, sometimes the whole thing is just depressing, i mean, not only Uni Abj, even Unilag has got its down sides, selling of a teachers note??? is that not ridiculous, or when u have to buy text books just to pass a course,
so one day, i was in school and i walked into a teachers office and lo and behold, i saw boxes full of computer sheets for exams that were written and not one was marked, these aare exams that peeps must have taken and all ohh and results would have come out... so tell me, how did they issue the result??? beats me

i am new here, visit my page

Ms. Catwalq said...

Great post.
I am afraid our educational system is going to remain that way for a while. After all, the children of all those who could make a difference are all abroad, benefiting from another man's decision to ensure that his country's offspring are fully equipped to function in society. I gave up after I was refused my Jamb question papers because I would not "cooperate" and settle the invigilators.
I am still hopeful for our country. It's all I have...hope and prayer, otherwise our children will be posting the same frustrations on their blogs. Please tell your brother to hang in there. We will not be broken.

BTW: I think smoking is a highly disgusting habit. The smell lingers on you and yours and if you check all those who spit on the streets, they are usually smokers.

יש (Yosh) said...

@P-I: See, yeah, same old people. But one of the pros they say our president-elect has is the educational reform he's effected all over his state. So let's see whether we can give it to him on that one level self. As for power and the other sectors, we'd give them the benefit of the doubt...we'd wait and see...

@Catwalq: Thanks for stopping over o! :) So aren't you generalizing a bit, that most of those we see who spit on the streets are likely smokers? :P That was funny in a way...

? said...

I would agree and 29th is just around the corner. Thanks for stopping and hope to see you around.

? said...
This comment has been removed by the author.