March 29, 2007

Heaven


I don't wanna go to heaven
. Yeah, I said it. But before you cross yourself on my behalf, stop for a moment and think about the implications of going to heaven, for you (if this is your desire, anyway). See, most religions have this thing about an eternal utopia in the afterlife, you know, people dying and meeting their God, you know the rest. But me, I've really come to ask myself what's the biggie self? Why can't this earth just be made perfect for us to live in? My stance here is based from the "Christian" mindset of those who want to go to heaven. I know what most of the other religious faiths preach about some heavenly afterlife (*grins*), but I won't bother touching that here.

Ask yourself, "Why do I want to go to heaven?" Most of our decision and desire of wanting to go to heaven stems from the effect of what some opinion leaders have on us, you know the religious kooks (excuse me), the likes of pastors, imams, monks, swamis, the works. For others, it comes from a 'thorough' understand and belief system that works for their whims and the 'truth' found therein their different faiths. For the many I've discussed with, there's one unifying objective: They want to go to heaven to "be with" the Lord. My next question for such ones is, "Who says God needs additional company?" From what I've read in The Holy Book, God has myriads upon myriads of powerful angels who minister to him, day and night. And if he needs more company, he might just as well create more angels. He's omnipotent. So who says he needs more "ministering" from any one of us. Okay, okay, God does pay attention to us as individuals and probably does want us to be with him. For those who have more time and understanding, they go one step further to tell me "being with God" doesn't simply mean staying physically redundant, there's more to it, like "ministering to God" like the angels who are already in heaven do. Oh well, and serving God. I just don't find that explanation satisfactory enough.

For most of the "Sunday-goers", they say it's all about "enjoying" and "escaping the troubles" plaguing the earth currently. You know, people actually carry this picture in their mind of heaven being a place for grooves, eating, and you know all those good ol' jolly stuff. Hmmm, I ask myself if they truly know what it entails. Well, there's just too many reasons I've heard, and the only substantial ones I've come to accept is that as it is spelled out in The Holy Book, Jesus speaking about having abodes for his disciples in heaven was for a different purpose. They are going to rule with him in his kingdom as kings and priests,and judge the earth. It says that somewhere in The Gospels and also in Revelation. So a lot of those who just jump in the heaven bandwagon do not really see the sense of going to heaven. You'd be going there to serve, yo! So if right now on earth you find yourself too stuck up in your pedastals and won't kiss ass one bit, then think again if you entertain the prospect of heaven. Heaven is for submission to God and worshipping/serving/ministering (whichever works for you) HIM day and night. Go figure! Ask the current angels serving. I don't mean to try and talk you out of this goal, but think of it. You will be up there floating around the throne of God, day and night, for all eternity. Like Diddy said in "What's Beef", "Ask yourself...Do you know what beef is? Then ask yourself, do you, really want beef?". I'm telling you to ask yourself and get your priorities straight. Do you really see yourself doing that for all eternity?

Another thing to think of is, if God really cared so much for us to be in heaven, then why these whole transition on earth? I'm not saying God doesn't care and all, but why come to earth first? Who says the earth is a breeding ground for prospective spirit persons in the heavenly realm? That's what most people believe, that when babies die, God takes such ones to be angels in heaven. Or when some good guy dies, he's gone to join him in heaven to "continue"...Hmmmm.

Well, I read somewhere in Psalms 115:16. There David says, "As regards the heavens, to Jehovah the heavens belong, But the earth he has given to the sons of men." Whatever other translation you have may read slightly different. But the point is, the earth is for men. Which now brings me to my own position. So if not heaven, where else?

That verse says God made the earth for man. And there are so many other verses in the scripture that points out that the earth is gonna be forever, it ain't going nowhere. So why can't we make this earth a better place? Some people still cite portions of The Holy Book where there's some statement about the earth being engulfed in fire and everything going to naught. But how come another part of The Holy Book says the earth is gonna be forever. Well, Bible-bashers have some field day there using such cases as pretexts for their claims that the Bible contradicts itself. But I'm comfortable believing, based on the ratio of occurrences of the concept of a here-to-say-earth to a soon-to-be-obliterated earth in the Bible, that the earth isn't gonna be going anywhere, hate it or love it. It's here to stay. No, not even a global nuclear warfare can take the earth out. My belief is that God will in some way intervene and not let this happen. Nor would he let man ruin the earth to an uninhabitable state.

Come to think of it, you as a property owner see how your tenants mess up the premises. Would you because of the temporary mess destroy both the tenants and the building altogether? Reasonably, this shouldn't be the case, especially if there's still so much to salvage from your property. You'd probably evict the tenants and fix your home for a more suitable type. I prefer to see the earth as still in a salvageable state. It's not as bad as it seems. It's humans: you and me that have gotten things to the dangerous state they are in (see ozone depletion, global warming, tsunamis, just to mention a few). Scientists, to a reasonable degree have been able to see that this has been as a result of human interference with the ecosystem. So let's let the beautiful Galapagos remain, the rockies of Colorado, the wonderful islands in the pacific rim, and all those breath-taking vacation spots we all fancy. Let's give the earth a chance. You'll love it here, really. We've already touched the part of the different lovely places there are to go. Let's imagine the meals we enjoy, booze, friends, orgasms (:-D mm hmm, that, too), kisses, colognes, beautiful sunset and sunrise, rainfalls, spring - You wouldn't have all that in heaven. And oh, no fancy stuff up there, yo. There's really no mention of such lifestyles anywhere in The Holy Book I know. It might be different in others. Like I said, I'm not going to discuss other faiths, though I don't mind drawing some "web-fire", but I'll let that rest.

My point is, let's make the earth a better place for you, me and our unborn kids. Who knows, who just knows, God might change His mind? I mean, He told Lot that if he could find just one righteous soul in ancient Sodom and Gomorrah, He'd spare the city from being destroyed. Boy, Lot even bargained with Him. Everything looks hopeless. The apocalyptic end of the "wicked world of humankind" described in Revelation is looking ever more real and religious kooks are getting orgasmic painting up different versions of how it's all going to turn out. But I think there might be a way out, no?

Whatever happens, I'm trying to live life to the fullest and wish, wish God will take me as I am, either ways.

I'll leave you all with this little one:


An 85-year-old couple, having been married almost 60 years, died in a car crash.

They had been in good health the last ten years, mainly due to her interest in health food and exercise. When they reached the pearly gates, St. Peter took them to their mansion, which was decked out with a beautiful kitchen, master bath suite and Jacuzzi.


As they "ooohed and aaahed," the old man asked Peter how much all this was going to cost.

"It's free," Peter replied, "this is Heaven."

Next, they went out back to see the championship golf course. They would have golfing privileges every day and each week the course changed to a new one representing the great golf courses on earth. The old man asked, "What are the green fees?" Peter's reply, "This is heaven, you play for free."

Next they went to the clubhouse and saw the lavish buffet lunch with the cuisines of the world laid out. "How much to eat?" asked the old man. "Don' t you understand yet? This is heaven, it is free!" Peter replied. "Well, where are the low fat and low cholesterol foods?" the old man asked timidly.

"That's the best part...you can eat as much as you like of whatever you like and you never get fat and you never get sick. This is Heaven.

"The old man looked at his wife and said, "You and your bran muffins. I could have been here twenty years ago!"


PS: I still haven't found my mp3 player. I'm still trying to run away from the reality that is unfolding with regards the fate of my heart, my one and only. I even connected to it more than I have with any other thing, real and unreal. sErIoUsLy! I feel so empty, I cannot even find the right words. But I'm coping! And maybe, just maybe, it might show up, no? All the scenes I've painted of how it got missing doesn't offer a spec of hope of it returning. But who knows? It's two weeks (tomorrow, Friday) and counting. I'll let us all know what happens.

PPS: And for the breaking hearts out there, please hold on and get a grip! It's not over until it is.

23 comments:

Brilliantly Me said...

I loved the nose ring too!!! Apparently, somewhere down the line, there was a Fulani person in my family.

Brilliantly Me said...

Re: Your post

What is it with Nigerian guys and religion?

It's like once you guys get to a certain age you just start questioning everything you've ever learned and choose to no longer believe those teachings.

chidi said...

you know what, i completely disagree with you. It dosen't all have to do with wat the pastors and the imams and other religious people have been feeding us. When i die, i would like to know that my life dosen't just end there. I would like to know that there is a place prepared for me to have a kind of second life but living it in a way without sin and respecting out creator. And i dnt think we will go to go and meet God in heaven cos he said in the bible that he will make us a heaven on earth when the judgment day has passed. Im not giving you a lecture on the bible or on faith but lets not be too westernized and forgot our ethics and culture and morals

Unknown said...

I hope you change your mind before the rapture comes cos unlike you, me I want to enjoy in 'aircondition' in heaven. LOL!!

Where did you throw ur mp3? Found it by now?

יש (Yosh) said...

@Rayo: Yeah, when you weigh those things on the balance of what's on ground today, you begin to see some loopholes you've ignored a longtime, until that moment. I'm not just feeling it as much as I used to, you know? Parents try to bring one up in the right way, but yeah it gets to this time in life you ask questions and then we all handle these things differently.

@Chidi: Right, it doesn't have to be what those people 'feed' us. But I know you must've asked the same question as I have at one point or the other. And I guess God put this thing in us yearning for what happens after "here and now". From my post, I'm trying to say that there's one of such "afterlife" places, it could mean heaven for some, and a perfect earth for others. I'd vouch for the latter at any time as I well know that heaven place isn't really meant for everyone. My post doesn't necessarily nullify the existence of a heavenly afterlife nor is it nihilistic. I was just trynna point out it isn't my thing.

Finally, "our" ethics, morals and culture hasn't been the same as it used to be since most of these religious missionaries stepped foot on "our" land. So I'm not trying to distance myself from the roots.

Thanx for stopping by!

@CGal: Enjoy o! I guess we all have different eternal goals of eternal life set before us. And I believe God will hand me the one that's rightly mine. And if it just has to be heaven, hopefully we can negotiate! :)

And no, my Sansa's still missin! :(

Simply Gorgeous said...

Yosh, yosh- (shaking my head rapidly) What am I going to do and say to you? Nothing. Your post left me speechless..

Dami said...

hey floating around God for eternity beats the temperature at the other end ya kno..just hope he doesnt swat us like a bee one day!

just do good you wil experience heaven..

heaven basically=
1) when sum1 smile at u then u smile back
2)when you are eating some juicy pine-apple
3)positive result of ur hardwork..
4)helping others
5)tapping a big booty babe hey sofry sofry o

Do good and Respect the creator and what he has created

BiMbyLaDs** said...

heaven is real o!! and pls try and make it there o.. i want to see u there..:)

jokes apart, i personally dont comment on religious posts.. I am too entrenched in my beleif in Jesus, Heaven , God and Christianity.. the Bible..and its intentions..

i rest my case, without letting it rise..

vindication through innocence said...

aww...sounds like you and this mp3 had something special going on!!eyy ya!!pele!
With regards to religion, heaven is your reward, the blessing of all blessing for keeping your environment as christian and spirit filled as you can!
Heaven is the only think that helps sometimes...Can you imagine that this is it? that is not possible!!and to add to it, I believe God is real and he answers prayers as the bible says so y wont i believe in eternal life cos the bible says that also!!
And to your qn...NO!!Im not a 'KC babe'-i dunno if ur implying that im a gay guy or that i surround myself with them all the time!pls do clarify...
I hope you reconsider God and heaven...I assure you.it will be worth it!

IJEOMA said...

i dont necessarily perceive it as going to church rather i see it as acheiving nirvana.. an inner peace.. a place of beautiful reast.. and heaven is just a name used to identify it.. it all depends on your conception

Anonymous said...

@Rayo: yes oh, we Nigerian guys do have something with religion. once we're grown we do start questioning everything we've ever learnt and choose to no longer believe those teachings. it's called freeing your mind, you should try it sometime.

@Yosh: great write up. don't even want to think about the after life. just want to live my life here on earth to the fullest and in the most positive way.

יש (Yosh) said...

@Bimby & Most of the others who question my beliefs: I believe there is heaven and I believe in most of Christianity's tenets. But I don't just believe that going to heaven is the only hope for man's eternal happiness.

Why do you want to go to heaven, if it isn't to escape from earth's woes and "be with God"? I've yet to find any other explanation for wanting to go to heaven other than this. And like I said, there's still hope for the earth and I'll rather live in a changed earth than go to heaven. The Bible supports a changed earth also. It's just that most religions/denominations don't talk much about this.

@VTI: So from your comment, do you mean there's no other option BUT heaven? I know heaven is a reward, but it's not just for everyone. See my point? Read my response to Bimby on this sha.

Yes o! My mp3 player was so dear to me. I'm still crossing my fingers.

I used to think you are female? Correct me if i'm wrong though. And that impression prompted my comment about you "hitting on" the guys. It has no gay inference. I beg your pardon! :P

@Ije: nice one! :) But most of our conception here is a little bit tied to some sorta doctrine, be you a Christian, Muslim or whatever.

@TRAE: Right on, man! I see you get where I'm coming from. And thanks for stopping by

Simply Gorgeous said...

Yosh, I still see you have not updated. But I have.

web-o said...

Dude. Believe you me; U want to go to Heaven, you just don't know it yet. Thanks for stopping by man. Update, Update.

Eagle's Nest!!! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eagle's Nest!!! said...

What a beautifully written piece!! I wholeheartedly share your sentiments but in part. Unfortunately we can't make the world a better place because a sentence of death is hanging on it! However, the Bible didn't say we shall stay in heaven forever, and regarding the promise of Jesus Christ to His discpiles as documented in John 14:1, it is one of the grossly misunderstood accounts ever, in that Christ was referring to Church - God's corporate abode in which every believer is required to be part of. John 15:1-7 shed more light on this when Jesus declared that He is the TRUE vine, His Father the husbandman, and Believers the branches - which simply means that wherever the Believer is, Christ is present....I can go and on to prove that we are not promised an eternal life in heaven, rather on earth. Revelation 21 and 22 aptly describe the new world where all believers in Christ Jesus shall dwell. What about the descent of New Jerusalem? One would think the city should ascend since heaven is depicted as a place beyond the sky and tars....

Anyway, eternal life is not going to heaven, it simply means having a privilege to live again in a perfect world - a world that shall emerge after this current world system is terminated.

There is a big difference between the world and the earth. Earth shall remain forever but this present world shall come to an abrupt end - someday!

Anonymous said...

lol, you are very funny. On the contrary, most people want to go to heaven because they rather not be burning in the fiery pits of hell where the flames are a million times hotter than the ordinary fire that easily gets one burned

lol ... the popular retort is that there is no devil ....... lol, be ye not deceived.

Anonymous said...

oh yea ... another retort is that there is no heaven or hell ..... lol, the sooner people realize the difference the physical realm (that in which our body, soul and mind) and supernatural realms of life (that in which our spirit interacts), the better.... Is is better to seek wisdom & clarity regarding these things than assume

יש (Yosh) said...

@Eagle's Nest:

Thanks for the comment. And I understand what u mean by a "sentence of death hanging on" the "world".

I also enjoyed this concept,"Anyway, eternal life is not going to heaven, it simply means having a privilege to live again in a perfect world - a world that shall emerge after this current world system is terminated."

Now what's with your "Profile not being available"? Anyway, it was good to have u here...I'd bet u'd have some good stuff for us, so "open up" and let's "read up"...or izit just me?

vindication through innocence said...

I am a babe o. dont get it twisted- but what made you think i was otherwise?which naija guy do you know that would publicly try and toast another guy on the streets!!?lol!
RYC: i do see what you mean...we cant all have the same opinion on issues.variety is the spice of life

Simply Gorgeous said...

The results are in. Come and see who made it to the next level!

LurLar said...

I think the fact that some pple carry christianity too much in their head, nd act like dis holy holy piece of crap,makes it more questioning, but still you can't let that distract you from wanting to make it to heaven. Remember it is two choices. Heaven or Hell? Would u rather stay in a burning heat than stay in a cool AC? Nice Blog sha.

Ms. Catwalq said...

I am liking you more and more.Preach on abeg