July 18, 2007

Eric-Jones-Michael-Yerima

Eric-Jones-Michael-Yerima: we both wrote the SATs bac in 2005. We just did it for the helluvit, unlike most of the kids who were there, those ajebotas millin about and trying to form turfs for the 3 or so hours we socialized that day. Me and Michael Yerima were there by providence. We hit it off immediately and I found him interesting, weird sense of humor, just like me. He's got good head on his shoulders and thinks fast. The kinda guy that can get you in and out of trouble. He sees it all, but wouldn't say, so you've gotta be one step ahead, or at least try to be, when you are with him. We exchanged contacts and tried to keep in touch post-SAT. The first few months was all right, we e-mailed back and forth, spoke on the phone as need arises...Then the loud silence...no e-mails, no calls-zilch! It all happened so fast we both didn't know it was happening. Some dry weekend like that, some guy I don't have on my chat list sent me an IM on msgr:

Name: Eric Jones

He says I know him...hmmm, well, I play along with him. I enjoyed his quirks and before long, he says he changed his e-mail address etc. No phones anymore, so I can't reach him that way. Uh, okay, no problems, I'll try and be in touch in this manner. And we did. Before long, we lost touch again. This time, there's no way to reach him. Once in a while, he sends e-mails from this weird-ass addresses, but no probs, at least we are in touch. Oops,hell naw, he was gone, again! Hmmm, this kain friend na wa o! I just decided to take my mind off him...

So one Saturday, AGAIN, I jejely de bed na im my fone vibrate. Gbbrrrrr...I checked, and it was him who text...he had my number from somewhere and just got in touch. He's in town and would want us to meet up. Good stuff...we exchanged messages back and forth, how disappointed it was losing touch and all that. We pledged that hell or high water, this time, we MUST meet before he sneaks out of town back to school (He's in ABU-Zaria). We agreed, everything looked positive.

Two days before our supposed meeting day, I decided to call him just to confirm everything will still pan out. Every dial got a "network/number busy" feedback. Hmmm, I paused a while and noticed we were both preventing each other from getting across, unwittingly, of course. This has gotta be good o!!! Beer don suffer! His first words were:

"Man, I know you'll kill me after all we've said, but I'm gonna say it anyways..."

I've learned to expect ANYTHING and EVERYTHING from ANYONE. I knew where he was headed, but I told him I needed a good explanation this time. Little did I know dude's been going thru hell. Dude's got serious issues, peoples! But I wouldn't go into all the details here and now. We talked about the past, from the last time we set eyes on each other, after the exams that day, up till that VERY minute we were speaking. It was good to know everything, the name changes and all that shit. We spoke from 12am till, I can't even remember, but I remember I didn't sleep till very early the next day. Dude's a soldier in this life, man! He's seen a lot of hell but I decide to not act surprise. I give him some of my own weird stories too and we both laughed it off, like it was all normal, but later before hanging up we both admitted to shocking each other.

Why couldn't we meet this time? Well:

1. He'd rather leave town before he offs his old man. They've both had it coming and before it ends up in NewsLine, someone's gotta leave..

2. Earlier in the week, he'd made a trip to Jos to find his immediate older brother. He found him, quite all right, but dude isn't gonna come home. He'd rather be taken dead than come home alive. Never wants to set eyes on their old man, either. They best be apart or else somebody's gotta die

3. The eldest brother is alive and well, but would rather be left alone wherever he's holed up. They can be the best of friends apart rather than physically around each other. Every man to himself...

So my homie's at that stage now where his brothers took off. I tried to talk him into maintaining some sort of contact with the old man. He's the last straw and if he goes, the man would probably give up the ghost. Losing ALL YOUR KIDS like that? Their mom's been divorced for as long as he knew how to zip up his pants after peeing, so that's not even an option. Every man to himself.

I feel bad for him, but he's taking it as a man. I'm proud of him. He's tough, I admire that. When I'd thought I had it bad all along, I didn't know mine is quite manageable. Guys, give thanks for what you have o! You never know what people are going through out there. I know he's got a good head and we've pledged to each other that we'd both stay in touch. We'd fight together soon, on the fronts and we'd prevail. We know what to do and we've both started out on that journey...

Arrivederci, for now, my good friend, Eric-Jones-Michael-Yerima, I sure know you use either of those as your real name. While you remain an enigma, I'd be glad to help you through whatever it is life throws your way. I've gotchur back!

So that's where I've been, my people. I've been hit by bouts of blues lately, but I'm steering away from it. I'm back to myself again and hopefully I'd be back to the norm and more, soon-ish.

--

I just read "Flags of our Fathers" , and boy does that book takes it to a whole 'nother level, probably 'cos it's as real as the nails on my fingers. It's worth the skipped lunch, I beg. Kai, I'd want my son to be a U.S. Marine sha...those guys are bad! But on another thought, it's good to know the price of freedom and why we shouldn't balk in the face of a threat to our existence. And yet, some stupid people want to stay politically correct. Let me not even start on that, self. It's 2030, so I've gotta head home now...

brb...

P.S.: You tell a child to act normal, but they grow up and act normal, but you don't like normal. So do you stop liking them? Your choice! -- A.Y.

P.P.S.: My current favorite font is Eras Demi Light ITC ,try it on MS Word when next you are there... ;)

12 comments:

Ms. Catwalq said...

first yeah!!!!!!

Ms. Catwalq said...

I almost wish I had not left my first comment...cos i had not read your post.
Please tell your friend, (and this is from someone who has been through her own share of issues) that we are the only ones God chooses to go through what we go through because we are the only ones that will not be crushed by the load.
Men are difficult and fathers even so much so; especially if he feels that he is loosing his grip on his household (the one thing by which a society defines a man).
Yosh, if you can, please go to your friend. Don't wait for him to come to you. I am not sure how men befriend, but my best girls always try to move heaven, earth and in between to be there for me and I try to do the same.

PS: i preferred "tales from iwo-jima. I am sorry, I am partial to anyone who is none caucasian ( i am not racist).
I need to contact u by email. Can u email me first? I need ur permission for something.

Night my sweet.

Anu boy said...

uhmm. well no matter the battle we face, i always thank GOD for being there... so brov... Na only GOD fit set out path straight oh...

Anu boy said...

uhmm. well no matter the battle we face, i always thank GOD for being there... so brov... Na only GOD fit set out path straight oh...

יש (Yosh) said...

@CatWalq: Thx hon. I know to some extent it's all about individualism. We'd deal with it...if he were in town I'd do just that, I'd go to him. Tho he was kinda distant before this eventuality, I know we'd have been more closer if he was in town now. But we'd get there...

Partial to anyone "non-Caucasian"? U have an answering to do...

@A-B: Right about God...but we gotta fight the fine fight ourselves, too. Thx for the lookout.

Omodudu said...

I am a fan of coolvetica (font) hey whats your email address.

An-Igbo-Dude said...

touchy story. feel for him.i dont know if its the old mans fault everyone is leaving him, but i dont think its best to run away from him. they still have to come back if eventually he gives up the ghost. he is still their father. i lost my dad like 15 years ago, what i wont give to have him back

as much as i love books, i hate reading(irony...)

Fo said...

ya evry1s got their issues...the best u can do is keep ur frnds sprit up...b4 he ends up very confused,nd messed up (turst me....i knw)love and care makes u think strght at times...its all we need to surive...PEACE
xoxo

badderchic said...

Nice one! thanks for droppin by!

Jaja said...

that when we falter and despair, somebody will care enough about us to bother..

Its one of the most touching things on earth!...
Plus this post is so soft! am i the only one noticing? see how it brought out all the softie in me.. hard man like me!

LurLar said...

Just give him positive assurance about his dad..cos no matter where nd how far we go, nd no matter how nuts nd pain in d butts they are......they r still our blood, nd we are going to always think about dem.

יש (Yosh) said...

Thanks for your comment, all! He's a man and I'd bet he'd do the right thing. I'd stand by him as much as I can. As it is, I might have to ride my butt to Zaria to talk things over.

Jaja, the thing soften u? I beg o, din't mean to make it like that sha.

Hope you're holding things together. Peace, bro

Jaja, do you in anyway know any "Israel Jaja"?