August 17, 2007

Let's Do It

DISCLAIMER: This is a spur of the moment post, so try and connect the loose ends.

I am Nigerian! From my childhood, there's been an endless bombardment of fear, which I won't bother listing here. But from those of us who grew up in the traditional family, you can identify with the whole conservatism. Fear of the unknown. Fear of being unaccepted. Fear of failure. Fear of this, fear of that. Most of our lives has been hijacked by fear and it impedes progress. But now, things are taking shape as I try to fight these traits I find unacceptable and unrealistic in step with the times.

As a people, unfortunately, that inborn fear is almost taking an intrinsic feature in our lives. It shows its ugly head more often in decisions we make. Just like any other proud Nigerian out there, I will love to see this country reach its full potential and exceed it. Giant of Africa this, economic/financial hub of Africa that, the efforts have to start somewhere. Just read this interesting and provocative article by Chxta and all that went with it. Funny how people tend to misread intentions (as is obvious by talkbacks to that post), but I'm not going to assail any of the opinions therein, here. The thing is efforts need to be collective. There's power in numbers. While there is definitely going to be differing opinions on how to get us "there", synergy is needed, not bad-talking.

I tend to be a groupie and while that word carries some negative nuances there is nothing wrong with trying to get things done with the help of others. At the same time, it is wrong trying to defer things to other people, to get the work done for you. That attitude doesn't help with progress. And that is another attitude prevalent in our society, trying to shirk responsibility. Why should I hurt myself and let others have the fun? You know, poke the task with a stick from a safe distance, no need dirtying my hands. In the end, we'd all celebrate the success. Now when there's success, we see people trying to take credit for what isn't rightfully theirs. That attitude does not help! I am not immune to this, some times, on some matters. It is a fight between what I am and what I am trying to be and striving to be it. When there's failure, I take responsibility. It's hard to be brutally honest, but how many people out there are willing to take the smear, even if it is temporal and would help make things better in the long run?

It takes time and an overall overhaul of our thought process and actions. Education is important (duh). Sacrifices HAVE TO be made. For those who have already taken up their lance and shield. Kudos, and way to go! And for the rest who are struggling, but are yet to be on the front line, but are making every effort to be useful and contribute meaningfully (in this category I fall in), may we muster enough gumption for what lies ahead. It would not be easy, but with unity and a common goal, we can get ourselves there. No need trying to outdo the other person or try to tear down his efforts. Where he is lacking, you try to help, but at the same time you watch your back so you don't break while helping.

A great number of Nigerians don't think. And when they eventually think, they are afraid of what the result of such thinking will mean for them. They'd rather deal with the status quo, no matter how bad it is. And still, even when the change does come, there will be a lot of bad-talking and resistance to change. It's good to criticize, but constructive criticism is what helps. "Patching up" will not help! It is time to "fix it", it is time to push for change. As Catty said in one of her posts, "...they are too busy with the business of surviving." There's too much struggling to do trying to get food on the table, to even have any time to bother about being creative. It's a vicious cycle! Of course it isn't an enabling environment, but there's no reason to despair or balk. There's much word around that motivates on "what to do", now there should be a shift to "time to do", which is NOW.

I'm a groupie and I'm game for change. I'm ready to do what it takes to help build a life for my society, myself, and my unborn loved ones. Let's do it!

A lovely weekend to y'all.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fear of the unknown. Fear of being unaccepted. Fear of failure. Fear of this, fear of that.
I know EXACTLY what this feels like.

A great number of Nigerians don't think. And when they eventually think, they are afraid of what the result of such thinking will mean for them.
lmao

I love ths writeup my blog backbone.. very smart and insightful... and yes... LETS DO SOMETHING!

Ms. Catwalq said...

A great number of Nigerians don't think. And when they eventually think, they are afraid of what the result of such thinking will mean for them.

That summarised all I wanted to say. Fear is one of the most inhibiting factors plaguing us as a people. We fear GOD, fear death, fear love, fear life, fear strive...we are even afraid of fear.

For me the worst that can happen if I try something, is maybe that I will loose my life. Ehen, so what? I don't fear death but I don't want to die painfully. Once you have that, everything else is basic.

Plus, another thing I HATE!!! are those who have been crippled by fear and will not allow others to take their chances. Disgos!

Anyhows sha, have a wonderful ice cream filled weekend.
MUAH!!!!

Admin UD said...

I like the spirit bro, if the body is also willing, then changes CAN be made

Anonymous said...

too many of our people are too negative. go and see the crap many so called educated people are yarning here

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-72546.0.html

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Like Fela said, "My people sef dey fear too much"

You are correct, we have to overcome the fear of change in order to achieve anything in Nigeria. There are those trying to make change, believe me. You just have to work hard to seek them out.

There is nothing wrong with being a 'groupie'. It is only by collaborative effort and constructive criticism that Nigerians will manage to transform our country. Too many people try to do things on their own and then get disappointed. Why do they do that? Ego, maybe even fear, who knows.

This was a good post!

Chxta said...

Sydelle has summed it up pretty much.

chidi said...

Gawd! when i was gone, i missed reading your blog, but now im back in full force. Now to go and read.......

יש (Yosh) said...

ONB: Thanks! We the youths CAN and WILL do something. It's about the will as Ugo said ...

Catty: I always go about with that "worst case scenario" thought. Makes me go for it! Lol @ "afraid of fear". Thx for the comment hon.

Siji: Some ppl catch fun by reading or partakin in such exchanges. I love forums, but when it gets to that line, I take a reserved position. Thx for stopping over!

Manda said...

imma come back.long post!

LurLar said...

love d post...

Dami said...

hmm love this post,but for some reason constructive criticism in naija context is praise singing to me. when people get in a routine-not thinking and at the same time being 'praised' they wont move to the level

Jaja said...

Hey yosh.. another thoughtful post..

Its not been a bit manic over here in PH.. but am fine.

How u doing?

Lucy Dee said...

But from those of us who grew up in the traditional family, you can identify with the whole conservatism. Fear of the unknown. Fear of being unaccepted. Fear of failure. Fear of this, fear of that. Most of our lives has been hijacked by fear and it impedes progress.

I completely understand this. I think once I get comfortable talking about myself and my homelife, I will start to divulge all my thoughts on being a First Generation American.

Ms. Catwalq said...

haba, update...
is it because....?